4-Day North Korean Thanksgiving in
Pyongyang & Wonsan Beach Tour
September 22nd to 25th 2018
(4 Days / 3 Nights)
*Includes the MASS GAMES Performance
Beijing | Pyongyang | Wonsan | Pyongyang | Dandong | Beijing
Starting September 19th:
- 4-Day MASS GAMES, Pyongyang Trade Fair, DMZ & Film Festival: September 19th to 22nd 2018 (1,290 Euro)
- 7-Day MASS GAMES, Pyongyang, Trade Fair, DMZ & Film Festival Tour +Wonsan Beach & Korean Thanksgiving Extensions: September 19th to 25th 2018 (1,740 Euro)
- 11-Day MASS GAMES, Pyongyang, Trade Fair, DMZ & Film Festival Tour + Wonsan Beach, Korean Thanksgiving & 3 days at Mt. Paektu Extensions: September 19th to 29th 2018 (2,140 Euro)
Starting September 22nd:
- 4-Day MASS GAMES, North Korean Thanksgiving in Pyongyang & Wonsan Beach Tour: September 22nd to 25th 2018 (1,190 Euro)
- 8-Day MASS GAMES, North Korean Thanksgiving in Pyongyang & Wonsan Beach Tour + 3 days at Mt. Paektu Extension: September 22nd to 29th 2018 (1,840 Euro)
Paektu Cultural Exchange is excited to offer the possibility to enjoy Chuseok in North Korea. Join us for the weekend. Enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of Wonsan and explore the East coast of North Korea before seeing first-hand what the notorious Mass Games are like.
✪ Spend the weekend in Wonsan where we will go to the beach, and visit the Masikryong Resort and the Songdowon Children’s Camp
✪ Celebrate Chuseok in the DPRK
✪ Witness the Mass Games – The largest and most amazing socialist mass performance in the world with over 100,000 performers!
PCE utilizes its high-level contacts with government officials and more than 20 years of relationships to organize unique meetings and activities that would otherwise not be possible.
Saturday, September 22nd – Tuesday, September 25th, 2018 – (12 days / 11 nights, Train in – Fly Out)
Saturday, September 22nd, 2018
- Upon arrival (flight Beijing – Pyongyang landing at 16:05), we will take a scenic drive through the mountains towards the east coast city of Wonsan (3.5 Hours)
- We will then stop for a coffee and snacks at the Sinpyong Lagoon
- Visit the beautiful Ulim waterfalls
- After an evening walk, we will dine at a popular seafood restaurant famous for their exotic seafood selection
- Arrive at the Masikryong 5 star 4 Season Resort
- Overnight: Masikryong Resort
- We can explore a number of the hotels top facilities like the Cave themed bar, KTV, swimming pool and DPRK’s only “4-hands” professional massage
About the Masikryong Hotel
The Masikryong Hotel is located in a cozy valley and provides its guests with first-class amenities. This luxury hotel is equipped with dozens of upscale restaurants that serve both Korean and Western food, swimming pool, ice rink, massage parlor, gym, and a sauna. The Masikryong Hotel meets the standards and expectations of Western guests by providing internet access, a coffee shop, and other facilities. The hotel has 120 guest rooms, including deluxe suites, family rooms and single rooms which can accommodate 350 guests.
Sunday, September 23rd, 2018
- In the morning we will go the Wonsan’s premiere Public Beach to relax, play sports and go swimming with locals.
- We will take a walk around central Wonsan city and visit the docks, which is usually crowded with old men fishing. We can buy fresh seafood here as well.
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Exchange Activities at the Wonsan Agricultural University: We will visit the campus and greenhouses of the university and, if weather allows, organize a joint soccer game with the students at the university.
- Visit the newly renovated Songdowon Children’s Summer Camp where international children also spend their summer vacation
- Visit Wonsan Railway Station
- Visit the Taehwa Peak restaurant and cafe located at the top of the Masik ski hill for a 360-degree view of the Wonsan Area
- Overnight: Masikryong Resort (5 star)
Monday, September 24th, 2018 – Korean Thanksgiving Day Chuseok
- Return drive to Pyongyang
- We are arranging some special holiday activities with local families to celebrate this important holiday “Chuseok” which is the Korean Thanksgiving
- We are arranging to watch the annual Tradition Wrestling Event (In Korean: SSirum 씨름). This is a tradition across the peninsula in both North and South Korea where traditionally farmers and local strongmen fight for the grand 1st prize of a large bull.
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Option to attend the Mass Games again. In past years many of our guests have requested to see the Mass Games twice during their visit so we are including this option, we will also have an alternative activity
- In the evening visit Pyongyang’s famous Kaesong Fun Fair Amusement Park
- Overnight: Koryo Hotel
Tuesday, September 25th, 2018
- 10:30 am: Departure from Pyongyang
End of Delegation
Saturday, September 22nd – Tuesday, September 25th
- 1,190 Euro
- This includes travel permits, accommodation (double occupancy), information sessions, trade fair entrance, and other events in the DPRK.
- Deposit – 40% deposit to hold your space (limited) on a first come first serve basis (non-refundable)
- Application Deadline: September 2nd, 2018 (Japanese need to apply before August 28)
Optional Sinuiju Extension (+1 day)
A one day Sinuiju trip can be arranged when departing the DPRK by train.
This option can be arranged to any trip when departing the DPRK by train through the Sinuiju / Dandong border. Arrive in Dandong by train at 5pm the next day or in Beijing two days later at 8am.
✪ All meals (breakfasts, lunches, and dinners; meals include water and beer)
✪ Transportation to, from and within the DPRK and China during the program
✪ Accommodation in the DPRK (4-star hotel, standard room)
✪ Smiles, jokes, anecdotes, basic DPR Korean language skills and some fun and interesting stories to go along with each day’s activities
✪ DPRK visa fee (50 Euro)
✪ Chinese double-entry visa (required) – Please Note: for more information, contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence. Some nationalities (e.g. Americans, Canadians, etc.) may qualify for the Free Beijing 72-hour Visa when flying in and out of Pyongyang.
✪ Ticket to the Mass Games performance. Options: €100/p (3rd class), €300/p (2nd class), €500/p (1st class) or VVIP for €800/p.
✪ Additional snacks, liquor, and alcohol (e.g. ~1–3 Euro per beer)
✪ Souvenirs, personal expenses, and other amenities
✪ Tips for Korean guides and drivers (usually expect to tip about 10-15 Euro in total per day)
✪ Mobile phone and data communication services: About 200 USD to buy a sim card with data enabled. Data fees are additional and are about 0.28 USD / MB
✪ Accommodation in Beijing is not included in this program, please contact us if you need a recommendation near our office or briefing location
✪ Mass Games ticket (from 80 EUR per ticket)
Upgrades and Options
✪ Flight (Economy) from Pyongyang to Beijing: Add +150 Euro
✪ Flight (First Class) from Pyongyang to Beijing: Add +250 Euro
✪ Train Connection from Beijing to Dandong or Dandong to Beijing Add +50~60 Euro one-way (Different Classes available | Based on Availability | Book early to guarantee)
✪ Single Room – A supplement fee (private single room): Add +50 Euro per night
✪ Economy –Flight from Pyongyang to Beijing or Beijing to Pyongyang: Add +150 Euro
✪ First Class – Return Flight from Pyongyang to Beijing: Add +250 Euro
✪ Private Airport Pick-Up (or drop off) – clients will be met by a private car at the airport: Add +25 Euro
✪ Room upgrades available for additional charges
✪ Please contact us with any special requests
DPRK Cultural Interpreter and Guide
Guide & Cultural Interpreter
Paektu Cultural Exchange Director
Michael has spent over 18 years living, working and studying in both North and South Korea and is fluent in the DPRK dialect. He first visited the DPRK in 2001 than in 2005; he became the managing director of a Canadian NGO operating in Pyongyang.
He also has extensive experience in South Korea working for government tourism organizations, but in the past decade, he has focused on organizing and facilitating trade, investment, cultural, academic, and specialized delegations to the DPRK. Michael has strong professional and personal relationships with the country’s leadership, and across different ministries and departments throughout the entire country.
He organized the Dennis Rodman 2013 and 2014 visits, the basketball match between the DPRK and former NBA players as well as cultural heritage restoration projects with the Dutch Prince Claus Fund.
Michael studied International Relations focusing on the Korean Peninsula and East Asian Studies in Canada then went on to study International Trade and Political Science in Korean.
Paektu Cultural Exchange is a social enterprise dedicated to promoting ethical business with a focus on social impact. A significant portion of the delegation fees will support Paektu Cultural Exchange’s Project Samjiyon, providing school supplies and language learning materials to less accessible rural elementary schools in northern Kanggye and Chagang provinces. This is a joint project between Paektu Cultural Exchange and ministry-level DPRK government partners. All donated materials are strictly designed to benefit primary school children and their educators.
Disclaimer: This itinerary is tentative and subject to some changes. It is quite normal and expected for small changes on any delegation to the DPRK. PCE and our hosts always do our best to accommodate within our abilities. In the event of itinerary changes, PCE will arrange relevant alternative activities. All payments are subject to our terms and conditions.